Populism Politics : The Defeat of Reason

This is one of the most terrible days I can remember of my almost 70 years alive. I have long been disturbed by the dumbing-down of the population and the impact of neoliberal economics and globalisation on our own and other nations. We have seen the 1% reach ownership of over 50% of the World’s wealth and their piece of the pie continues to grow. At the same time, in…

Read More >>

The ‘tampon tax’ is not a marginal issue – it’s the force of structural sexism at work | Gabrielle Jackson | Opinion | The Guardian

In New York they have just repealed the tax on mentstrual products as a matter of social justice. This tax on being a woman is insulting to us all Source: The ‘tampon tax’ is not a marginal issue – it’s the force of structural sexism at work | Gabrielle Jackson | Opinion | The Guardian

Read More >>

I’m an American living in Sweden. Here’s why I came to embrace the higher taxes. – Vox

So there are countries that take a “collective” (no pun intended) approach to the use of taxation dollars and that are able to devise an equitable and effective system with minimum inefficiencies and headaches for tax-payers. I’ve often wondered what it is about the Scandinavian part of the World. What is it about the people that they so often seem to be more together and progressive than elsewhere? It particularly…

Read More >>

Australian inequality rising as top 20% increase wealth and income

Top earners are now pulling in five times as much as those at the bottom and the wealthiest have 70 times the assets of the poorest, the Australian Council of Social Service says, as it calls for a stronger social safety net Source: Australian inequality rising as top 20% increase wealth and income – report | Australia news | The Guardian

Read More >>

Budget 2015 – An Open Letter to Joe Hockey

Dear Joe, This is absolute hogwash. Your government’s ideology – to steal from the workers of this nation and move theiir rightful share of the nation’s wealth into the hands of a few percent of the richest and most privileged is irresponsible, immoral and destroying our community. We both know, as do all reputable economists and political commentators, that the main economic problem the government has right now is one,…

Read More >>

Negative gearing – another form of tax-break for the wealthy – Hockey misrepresents the facts.

Treasurer Joe Hockey says abolishing negative gearing could lead to rent increases, because that’s what happened in the 1980s. ABC Fact Check investigates. Source: Fact check: Did abolishing negative gearing push up rents? – Fact Check – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Read More >>

Probably the most insidious cover up in our time …

Already, the wealthiest 1% of the World’s population have wealth equivalent to the combined wealth of the other 99%. 73 individuals now have wealth equivalent to the combined resources of the poorest 3,500 BILLION people. Statistic show categorically that over the last decade, the wealthy have become richer and the rest of us have become poorer. This is happening because of the dominance of neo-conservative economics – the policy of…

Read More >>